Linn Park et alia loca
Sponsored by the Linn Park Gentlemen's Walking Club

The 19th Century saw a gradual change to the standard of rural life and improved farming that we all expect. It also saw the arrival of the Sugar Campbells - so called because of their involvement in the Caribbean. The history of the family has been provided by Geoff Daniel - an Australian landowner. This remarkable document is also referenced in the History section.

The article continues the story of Castlemains and introduces the Sugar Campbells and Linn House.

Castlemains

By 1848 Cartside House had 35 acres of grounds, including the Castle policies, stables, gardens, shrubberies and walls, and the fields called the Sunk Fence Park, Ladyfauld Park, High Little Park and Dovecot Park.

In the 1840s the Earl of Cathcart, then in his eighties, lived in Cartside House (which he preferred to call Cathcart House), along with his wife, grown children and ten servants. The Castle was in decline by then and by the 1870s was described as a ‘square roofless keep on an eminence surrounded by well grown timber’. After the earl’s death Cartside was occupied by a string of merchants and industrialists, the longest occupant, continuing the Caribbean connection, being William Watson Stuart, a ‘West Indies and African merchant’, through the 1880s. The two cottages in front of the castle were still occupied into the 20th century by gardeners, grooms and coachmen along with their families.

Hagtonhill Farm was at its peak in the 1840s when it was worked by David Glen and his family, and six farming servants. In the 1860s it was still a mixed dairy and pastoral farm employing two ploughmen and two dairymaids, but within a decade it was used mainly for sheep grazing. By 1881 the steading was used as two cottages let out to local shepherds and labourers.

Linn became the focal point of the old Hagtonhill estate. Though Linn House is often claimed to have been built in 1828, it was advertised from 1791. The following year, when Linn and Bogton came under the same ownership, Linn estate began. In the autumn of 1801 adverts appeared for:

‘Delightful villa ground upon the banks of the Cart among woods, rocks and waterfalls, an hour’s walk from town along a good pathway, and conveyance for one shilling by the Ayr Mail Coach twice a day, with delightful situations for villas, each containing 6-8 acres of good well cultivated land, commanding a romantic view of the waterfalls, Cathcart Castle, Glasgow and the adjoining country.
The back grounds of Hagtonhill, are improved, belted and subdivided and are reserved for the purchasers, who may want a few acres more. Upon 

Gentlemen have the best opportunity just now of viewing the soil and situation while the crop is in the ground and foilage upon the trees. At the Lin-fall upon the Bogton side there is one of the very best sites for a Mill: the Ark and Bywash are already cut; the Lin-Rock saves the expense of a Dam and Lead; a Sluice in the Bywash is only requisite to tumble the Cart over the Lin, the materials are on hand for extensive buildings. the land there is Lime, Coal, Freestone, Bonnetstone and Pavement in abundance for buildings of any extent.

For the small sum of £30 each the purchasers can have a convenient bridge over the Cart within 200 yards of the new public road.

This was accompanied by a notice that Gentlemen were forbidden to shoot game upon the lands of Hagtonhill or Bogton.

By this time the old estate of Hagtonhill had been divided into two equal sized farms of Hagtonhill and Linn, each with about 80 acres of arable land. Linn was let out, along with another part called Thornyfauld, to the Peddie and Barr families. In 1811 Linn was described as a ‘genteel house with a view of the River Cart’ and two years later as a country residence, which included a garden. In 1817 Linn House contained ‘six rooms, kitchen and closets’. The development of the estate really took off once the mineral resources were exhausted and deliberately concealed by tree planting. From 1817 the Campbells took over and began building up the core of what is now Linn Park, from bits of Bogton and Linn.

Previous section: 18th Century Improvements

Next section: Crossing the White Cart