Linn Park et alia loca
Sponsored by the Linn Park Gentlemen's Walking Club

The traditional crossing point of the River Cart in the area was the bridge known as the Snuff Mill bridge, on the traditional main road from Glasgow to Ayr. Although there is a 1627 date-stone built into the bridge’s downstream face, and records confirm work was done to the bridge in the 1620s, there was already a bridge on the site back in the 1580s.

River Crossings

River in spate There was also a ford on the downstream side of the bridge, although there has always been argument about exactly where it was, due to the steepness of the bank on the Holmhead side. In 1722 Francis Murdoch drowned at this ford on his way from Glas­gow to Ayr, when the river was in spate. Most bridges had a ford adjacent, to avoid the toll, though in winter floods it was foolish not to use the bridge. The bridge made the spot a focal point of the area, as the nearest bridge downstream was at Pollokshaws and upstream (later) at Dripps. From the Snuff Mill Bridge, the road climbed steeply up to Braehead, then along Netherlee Road, and through Bogton to Netherlee. The bridge further down at Holmlea was first proposed in 1799 where there was another ford called the Stepping Stones, and Clarkston Road was a modern route built on a new alignment.

Roads in 1790'sApart from the main Glasgow to Ayr road, there were two local roads through Linn. The first came off the Carmunnock Road at Croftfoot (on the line of present Croftfoot Road). It passed what is now Linn Golf Course club house near Hagtonhill, then round the present driveway to Linn. It continued down by the stables courtyard to the river. The road then forded the Cart upstream of where the Ha’penny bridge would later be built, to Burnside Road at Netherlee. Burnside Road ran along the traditional boundary between Netherlee and Bogton. At the fording point a pipe bridge used to carried a water main across to the park. This was a challenge for local children to cross. The structure deteriorated and was removed in the late 1960’s and a large concrete block on the riverside is all that remains. This ford was forcibly closed in the 1790’s to prevent avoidance of tolls on the main route.

The second local route was the back road from Cathcart village to Carmunnock. Leaving Cathcart village by Old Castle Road, it continued up the track from Linn Park Golf Course clubhouse to Hagtonhill Farm, then along the edge of the Top Wood in the park, where it can still be traced as a track flanked by ditches and banks. It then dropped down to the back of what is now St Raymond’s Primary School on Lainshaw Drive, then climbed very steeply up the opposite side in a deep hollow way to Mid Netherton and on to Carmunnock. Improvements to the area, especially mineral exploitation, added further routes. Linn estate developed its own private paths, though many have fallen into disuse in the past 30 years.

There is a separate article on the history of Cathcart Cemetery provided by the Friends of Cathcart Cemetery.

Previous Section: 19th Century Changes

Last Section: 20th Century Developments